Thursday, June 25, 2009

I don't think there has ever been a better example of how actions have consequences than if life and untimely death of Michael Jackson.

By all accounts, if you look at his musical career, just his body of work, this should be the blackest day in the history of music. Rivaling the death of Lennon and flat out destroying the death of Cobain (because Jackson was more talented and didn't eat the business end of a firearm). Unfortunately, this is going to be one of those days that fills people with mixed emotions.

We won't ever see another Michael Jackson, mostly because what he did, he did without precedent. The man could fucking GLIDE on solid ground. No matter how you feel about him, you have to admit that the man could dance like gravity didn't apply to him in the same way it applies to you and me.

His videos have basically defined music videos. In a Doctor Who like world, a visit to a world where MJ never rose to popularity is probably a world without music videos. Thriller came out in 1983, that's twenty-six years ago. That's before my life began, before I was considered as a possibility. That video, despite being almost 30 years old is still one of the best music videos of all time. There is no argument you can make that doesn't include Thriller in the list.

Furthermore, the man MADE things happen through sheer force of will. He wanted to defy gravity when on stage singing "Smooth Criminal", the technology or mechanism didn't exist, so he CREATED and PATENTED it. Say what you will, but that's impressive stuff, he made his own way when there was no way.

This leads me to the crux or my own issues. I can't get past the idea of child molestation, I really can't. Did Michael want to hurt children or exploit them? I'm relatively sure he didn't, as I'm sure he would never have wanted anyone to go through what he went through. He was, of course, the product of an abusive father. That said, what happened, happened and you can't take things like that back.

I sit at a weird crossroads of mourning the loss of the greatest entertainer in the history of man, and being ambivalent towards the man who robbed at least one child of his innocence. I really don't know how to feel about the whole thing. Does life come down to the single mistakes we make? I think that is what I started to struggle with when I really examined the life of Jackson. He did so much good and yet there are a few black marks that decimate him.

I'm mostly writing this because my head is a jumbled mess of exactly how I feel. I walk this line between thinking that humans aren't meant to be famous because clearly we don't have the mental faculties to handle it and at the same time that people can walk away if they want to and choose not to.

I have more to say, but my brain is tired. Rest in Peace Michael, you brought happiness to millions.

No comments: